home Facebook My Shop Current Challenge Videos Current Winners Ask Jo

Saturday, March 28, 2015

March's Guest Designer, a tutorial & Lots of inspiration!!!

Hi everyone and happy Saturday!! This is Lisa from A Mermaid's Crafts and I'm so excited to be guest designing on my sweet friend Jo's blog today!! I was so honored when she asked me and couldn't wait to create a project to share with you. Last week marked the first day of spring - yay!! So I've created a couple of easel box cards to celebrate the new season :)


There are tons of tutorials on how to make these, but I just kind of winged it and created my own. I took a few pictures and threw together a quick tutorial. I wanted my card to be 5x5 and the depth of the box at 1", so using those measurements, you will need:

Box Base
  • 1 - 5 x 11 cardstock
  • 1 - 5 x 5 cardstock
  • 1 - 7 x 7 cardstock
  • 2 - 1 x 6 strips of patterned paper
  • 2 - 1 x 5 strips of patterned paper
  • 1 - 5 x 5 piece of patterned paper for inside of box (may have to trim slightly)

1) Start by scoring the 5 x 11 cardstock at 1 7/8", 3", 8" and 9 1/8". I added an eighth of an inch to each side so that the box would slide easily. Also, the reason I used 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock is because I have it in heavyweight...I don't have any 12 x 12 that I thought would be heavy enough to use as the base. I used Neenah Solar White Cardstock in 110lb. weight.


2) Fold at the score lines. It will look like the picture above. Apply glue and adhere the 5 x 5 piece of cardstock to the base.


3) It will look like this when you are done. This will be the sleeve for the box.


4) Score the 7 x  cardstock at 1" on all four sides.


5) Fold the score lines. Cut the lines pictured above. I always make the cuts a slight triangle so that the sides match up better when glued together.


6) Fold the end pieces up and adhere glue.


7) Glue the end pieces so that it forms a box.


8) The box will now slide easily into the sleeve.


9) To decorate the inside box, I used two pieces of 1 x 6 patterned paper and 2 of 1 x 5.


10) I scored the 1 x 6 pieces at 1/2" from each end and then wrapped them around each end of the box to add a little more strength to the corners of the box. I then adhered the 1 x 5 pieces on the other two sides. I did the same thing on the inside and then added the 5 x 5 patterned paper to the bottom.


Easel Card
  • 1 5 x 5 cardstock
  • 1 5 x 10 cardstock
  • Embellishments


1) Score the 5 x 10 cardstock at 2 1/2" and 5".


2) Fold as shown with a mountain fold at 2 1/2" and valley fold at 5".


3) Adhere the 5" end to the top of the box. On the 2 1/2" end, apply adhesive and adhere the 5 x 5 cardstock.


4) Your easel box will now look like this. Time to decorate!!


The papers for both of my boxes are from Prima. The edged were distressed with a Zutter DIA. The flowers are from Wild Orchid Crafts.


I used heavy-duty burlap for the handle, and several dies for each box.


They are now ready to fill and give as gifts!! I want to sincerely thank Jo for having me guest design today!! Have a wonderful weekend :)


******Thank you so much Lisa for being March's guest designer and for showing us a fantastic project with awesome instructions! It has been an honor to have you as March's GD! Have a wonderful weekend my friend!!!!! 

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so, so much for having me as a guest designer my friend!! I had a great time creating these easel boxes!! I hope you have a wonderful, happy weekend!! Thanks again and big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soAwesome Lisa I love it. Congrats on your Guest Design post
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes MARCH Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this tutorial! Fantastic! I have bookmarked it and I am going to make a beach themed one this summer!

    Hugs,
    Louie's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy smokes Lisa, this is absolutely stunning! The prima paper are gorgeous and love, love the flowers! The details.....FABULOUS my friend! Your tutorial is excellent~thanks so much for sharing!!!
    Hugs,
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous Lisa! You are amazing my friend, thank you for inspiring me and for this awesome tutorial!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have created two gorgeous box cards Lisa with a great tutorial for your guest designer spot. Love your colours and great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous Lisa! I love everything about them and then to share a great tutorial for us as well, well you are the bomb my friend. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial! I am going to give it try! Candice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you already know how much I love these and how stunning and gorgeous I think they are..so just thought I would "pop: on over and say congrats to you again on being the GD here..and wonderful tutorial, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your GDS!! They are both Stunning and so BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Awesome job my friend!!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Millie
    Crafting With Creative M

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful tutorial from Lisa. Lots of deliciousness. Great to have her as March's Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments always put a smile on my face! I love reading each and every one! Thank you for stopping by~
Hugs,
~Jo~